[Previous Page] [Next Page] [Up] [Home Page] [Mail] [Search] [Contents]


a permit is required to take specimens out of the country. The institute to consult is INRENA. The question ´how is one obtained is a more difficult one´. If you follow all there official rules the anser is usually ´NOT!´. Peruvian will take about a year to get the permits in a more or less cheap way and foreigners are supposed to pay extra money to the persons in charge so the papers are (all of a sudden) ok. There are two types of permits. One for export of valuable specimens for trade (big beetles) and one for research. Both require often impossible things like identification of all specimens ahead of export. For the research permit it is also required to send halve of all your specimens to the museum in Lima (including halve of the holotypes...haha..does this mean halve a beetle). The problem is that the people in Lima who make these laws don´t now much about collecting, biology etc, but just want take as much money as possible.
Anyway my advice is to contact INRENA and asks them for the permit and just pay them what they ask for it and do what they tell you to do.
August can be a good month to collect insects. You can collect insects yearround in good numbers. In the rainy seasons (feb and oct) and just after the number of beetles are usually some higher, but the differences are all that big. In august the river starts to get lower and this new land with its anual weeds can be very interesting for collecting.
The road from Yurimaguas to Tarapoto can be interesting for collecting. This goes from lowland yurimaguas (180) over some hills to Tarapoto (700m). This is not a reserve (yet) and thus doesn´t require extra permits. around km 34 they are building a new lodge. I´m not sure about the conditions at moments, but the basics are surely available. I´d like to go there some day myselve. They have found amazingly large diversity in frogs at this site so I don´t see why it could not be interesting for other groups as well.
Pacaya Samiria is of course also the place to go when in Yurimaguas. You´ll need some extra permits this. All with INRENA.
hope this helps you and your family.
greetings from Iquitos,

Costa Rica

Legal acquisition of biological material from parks and conservation areas in Costa Rica requires a collecting permit from the Ministeria de Ambiente y Energia. In addition, an export permit is also required for specimens to leave the country. Your Tico collaborator should already have a collecting permit under which you could operate. He/She should also be able to help obtain the export permit, as there is a bit of bureacracy. If you need to obtain a permit, be prepared to submit a couple of passport-sized photo's, a letter describing the purpose of your work, and a c.v. Give yourself at least several weeks of preparation for the collecting permit, and a few days for export permits. The easiest way to obtain both permits is to affiliate with INBio (Instituto Nacional de Biodiversidad) []. Contrary to many impressions, they have an active biodiversity inventory project underway. They are looking for additional scientific cooperators and have excellent facilities for visiting scientists. Given the time allowance, by working with INBio projects they can provide valuable assistance and resources for obtaining permits, etc. =====
Last summer 1999, I got a collecting permit ($ 35) and export permit ($ 55) through Maria Elena Naranjo of the INBio (Insituto Nacional de Biodiversidad),
tel.: +506 2440690,
fax +506 2442816/ 2548.

[Previous] Collecting in Europe
[Next] How to collect beetles for DNA studies
[Up] For Collectors
[Home] Home Page
[Mail] Send EMail to Coleoptera
[Search] Search Coleoptera
[Contents] Coleoptera Contents

Thanks for visiting Coleoptera

Last modified on Tuesday, 12 November 2019